Friday, August 5, 2011

Dragonriders of the Styx's Fantar!

A little while back, one of my favorite cyber-homies, Planet Bierwagen, hooked me up with a killer care package of posable, collectible awesomeness. And not to take away from the other figures in the box, but one figure in particular really stood out (so much so, that he got a quick mention in a previous video blog, and now I felt was the time to write a little more in depth about him).

As many of you know, I'm a fan of the classic Dragonriders of the Styx toy line. I often incorporated them into my fantasy adventures alongside my beloved LJN Dungeons & Dragons figures. So it was a nice surprise when I found what I originally thought was a wingless Demon figure from the DotS line...


I thought, Well, that's nice. Now I have an extra Demon figure. What a nice chap that Planet Bierwagen is. Oh, but how wrong I was! Looking at the figure again the next day, I notice that this wasn't the Demon at all! This was a figure that I never had! Planet Bierwagen is far beyond being just a nice chap!

This is the Demon...


And next to him, is Guliz, the Ogre. It finally hit me that what I had looked like the hybrid bastard-child of these two evil creatures!


With a little digging, I discovered that this mix of Demon and Ogre is none other than Fantar! A truly horrible creature that road upon the back of flame-footed, human-faced, pitch-black horse in a rare Dragonriders of the Styx deluxe set.


And thus my Dragonriders horde grows! So, my deepest gratitude to Planet Bierwagen for hooking me up with a killer addition to my collection, from a line of toys I have always loved. :)