Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Munsters - The Last Resort

I scored this brilliant little book at a swap meet in San Diego for all of $2 and I would have paid $10. I had no idea that there were once Munsters books back int he day, and now I'm wondering how many are out there. This book was published by Whitman in 1966, probably at the height of Munsters mania.

I can't really tell you much about the story, because I haven't read it yet, but I am simply in love with the cover and interior illustrations. Take a look...






There's just something about the cartoony drawings, rendered in a warm brown ink that I just adore. It looks like, Herman and the family try to take a vacation and run afoul a couple of mad scientist wannabes, as often happens on family trips. At least in my family, anyway.

The real prize in the illustrations comes from the inside front and back cover pages (both of which are the same), with this spectacular drawing of the Munsters gang in what appears to be a hybrid of the Munsters Koach and the Dragula, cruising toward a lightning-lit, cloud-shadowed castle. Priceless.


I'm off to try and find some more of these books (if they exist), but I get the sneaking suspicion that I won't be able to get them for $2.