Friday, August 12, 2011

My Vintage Kenner Star Wars Haul from SDCC!

As mentioned a couple of week's back, I'm committing to complete my vintage Kenner Star Wars figure collection, so while I was at SDCC, my vintage Star Wars radar was firing on all circuits. Sadly, there wasn't a whole lot to be found, with most booths selling newer packaged (scalped) stuff or (ugh) half-naked Japanese hentai girls statues.

Luckily, I managed to find two different booths selling some vintage stuff, and for pretty decent prices, so I did get to grab a few. And here they are...

First up, we've got the baddest Bounty Hunter in the galaxy, Boba Fett. I can't believe that I didn't already have a Boba Fett on the shelf, but he's been a little hard to find (for a decent price). This one is in pretty good shape and even came with his gun, so I was stoked to score him.  Looking at this figure again took me right back to one night when I was 8 or so and my uncle was babysitting me and we were playing Star Wars on the carpet in front of the TV (he was a pretty cool uncle), and he kept calling him "Blubber Fat" and I laughed so hard I almost peed.


Next we have the lovely Princess Leia in her Bespin getup. I never actually had this figure as a kid, but I distinctly remember my cousin Sean getting her for Christmas and his two brothers laughing at him for having a "girl toy". I was jealous of his Christmas morning score. Now Sean's laughing at me for still collecting these things.


Next up... Lobot! What a lame figure. I got this guy for a whopping $3. Even in my deepest throes of Star Wars fever, I avoided this figure like crazy. So did all my friends. I remember that there was this one Lobot figure that was constantly used as a bonus figure in our trading sessions, and everyone owned him at one time or another. Everyone except me, that is, because I always turned him down. But, now I'm trying to collect them all, so here he is. I don't know why I disliked this figure so much. I think it was the puffy sleeves.


When I say R5, you say D4! R5! D4! R5! D4! I loved this little droid when I was a kid and I love him just as much now. I always imagined how different the trilogy would have been if he hadn't had a bad motivator. One memory I have of this figure is that this kid, Randy, who lived next door to me, always just called him "Fake R2."


And finally (for this haul, anyway), we have the mighty, yet diminutive, Snaggletooth! I never had Snaggletooth when I was a kid, but another neighbor kid, Brett, did have him and I always coveted it. Not that we ever did much with him when we played Star Wars. I think we mostly just loved him because he was short and had those red, beady eyes.


So, that's it for this Star Wars haul (except for one that I bought for custom fodder, but that's another story). Now I have to go update my list and set my sights on the next figures to add to the collection. I have so far to go, but it's going to be a fun journey.

May the Force be with you.