Friday, April 20, 2012

League of Extraordinary Bloggers Weekly Theme: Prized Possessions!

This week's topic: What is the one item in your collection you would save if your house was being swallowed by a sink hole, carried off in a tornado, and then swept away in a flood.

This was a no-brainer for me. In fact, so beloved are these certain items (yes, I picked more than one, I had to) that two of them got a mention in last week's post about Holy Grails and White Whales.

However, I would like to point out that I approached this week's topic with the idea that we are talking strictly about items in our collections, and not the obvious things like my wife, my pets, my family pictures and my tiger-striped blanket that I've had since I was 5. All of those things come first. But if we're just talking about collectible items found within the confines of the Nerdatorium, I'm going with these three pieces right here...


The three items you see above (all of which are within easy grabbing distance from eachother and easily carried out of a burning house) are the kings of my collection.

First, we have my vintage Mego Conan figure. He was given to me by a good friend and was one of those holy grail collectibles that I had never thought I would own. Although, if lost in a fire, I now know that I can easily get one complete and in mint condition on eBay for about $200, but it wouldn't be the one that I got for my birthday from a very generous buddy during a time in my life that I look back upon fondly.

Second is the legendary Blue Snaggletooth, given to me by the mighty Eric Stettmeier of Toyriffic fame. Again, another collectible that I could always get on eBay, but the story behind this one is priceless to me. This Blue Snaggletooth was the childhood toy of Darius Whiteplume, which I narrowly lost in a contest against Eric (aka Bubbashelby), only to have it passed on to me a couple of years later. I made a promise to take great care of it, and I mean to stick to that.

Finally, we have my all-time favorite Matchbox car. To everyone else, it may just seem like an ordinary red station wagon, but the one I had as a kid (this is a replacement found on eBay after years of searching) held so many great memories for me that it would just break my heart to lose it again.

So, there you have it. Yes, I cheated a little by picking more than one item, but I just couldn't narrow it down any further.

Please see the complete list of posts from the Extraordinary League of Bloggers and show their blogs some love. Thanks!