Sunday, April 22, 2012

Original Mixo Concept Sketches!

As some of you may know, I'm the art director and designer for a company called Mixo. Right now, we produce a series of collectible figural tins called Kookycans, but we're about about to launch a whole slew of other products starting this July (with a big launch coinciding with SDCC).

Now, many of you have seen our Kookycans before, some of you may even own a few, but for those of you who don't know what they are, this is what they look like...


They come with crunchy fruit tart candy stars inside along with a bonus sheet (or three) of punch-out papercraft accessories for your Kookycan.

But not that long ago, the original idea was to fill these with ground coffee and sell them to adults. When I think back on this, I can't believe how much has changed. Not only were they going to be filled with coffee, but the head/cap was going to act as a cup and the designs were going to be all un-licensed (at first) Big Daddy Roth style monsters and weirdos.

The only reason I'm writing about all of this is because I came across my original sketches from what feels like 10 years ago, but is really only about a year and a half ago, and I was shocked at how different it all turned out!

Anyway, I just thought it'd be fun to share these sketches. Enjoy...