Friday, May 11, 2012

League of Extraordinary Bloggers Weekly Theme: The Ultimate Crossover Event!

This week's topic: What pop culture heroes or stories would make for the ultimate crossover–think along the lines of Han Solo meeting up with Firefly’s Mal on a smuggling run.

I'm a sucker for a good crossover, and have been making them up myself ever since I was a kid, when my Star Wars figures would team up with my Dukes of Hazzard figures and they'd all go on an adventure with Indiana Jones to find some magical Dungeon's & Dragons artifact that will finally defeat Cobra.

And I've always wanted to see several crossovers, like a Thundarr the Barbarian/John Blackstar animated special, or a Goonies meet the Monster Squad adventure.

But the one that I always thought would be awesome can be summed up in this one single image that I whipped up...


KA-BOOOM! ANIMATION EXPLOSION OF AWESOMENESS!!!

I've always loved the New Scooby Doo Movies, which was the hour-long series sequel to Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? (my favorite), in which they would have various co-star "celebrities" along the lines of Sonny & Cher, Davy Jones, Jerry Reed, Batman and Robin or the Harlem Globetrotters. The show wasn't as eerily atmospheric as the original series, but it had some fun moments.

Later, I would become a major fan of the Ghostbusters movie, although sadly, the cartoon would come along just a little too late for me. I would have killed for a cartoon and toy-line when the movie came out when I was 10, but they shuffled their feet on the franchise until I was 13 and just outside the demographic. I mean, I still watched the cartoon from time to time, but it was just a little too different from the movie for me. Egon was blonde, Stantz was too goofy, Slimer was sort of a pet. I just didn't dig it. Then in my mid 20's, I would get several episodes on VHS and fall in love with the show. Must have been timing with me.

It wasn't long after that that I started imagining a Scooby-Doo/Ghostbusters crossover animated TV movie. Imagine it! The Mystery Inc. gang finding the clues and following the trails, and the Ghostbusters coming in to catch the specters. The hilarious moments of the Ghostbusters trying to "contain" an old disgruntled carnival owner, or the Mystery Inc. kids trying to unmask a real phantom from the netherworld. 

You could milk the comic relief for ages with Scooby and Slimer competing for every scrap of food that they come across. Or maybe there could be a little romatic triangle thing with Fred getting all jealous over Venkman's flirtations with Daphne, and don't even get me started on the possible sparks between Velma and Egon.

Seriously, they need to get this movie made. I bet it would make a gazillion dollars. Or a gazillion Scooby Snacks.

Please see the complete list of posts from the Extraordinary League of Bloggers and show their blogs some love. Thanks!