Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Superman DC Digest!

I've never kept it a secret that I'm not too big of a Superman fan, but I've noticed in the last year or so that I've been inspired to go back and take another look at some classic superheroes that were previously ignored. Add to that a healthy dose of nostalgia for my love of the original Superman movies (the first two, anyway) and fondly remembering my original Superman Mego action figure and I guess there must be a small place in my heart for the Man of Steel after all.


So when I spotted this digest edition from DC Comics, at SDCC no less, all about the last son of Krypton, sporting the price tag of $1, I couldn't pass it up. Sure, it's all about Supes, but it's also jam-packed with killer old-school art and reminds me of a more innocent era for comic books, before all of the reboots and "grimdark" character redesigns, when heroes were heroes and villains were villains and the readers were treated to the occasional break in the story by ads for Hostess fruit pies.


Out of all the loot I came home with from San Diego Comic Con, it was this little digest that kept me enveloped during the flight home. Poring through the brightly colored pages, jumping with every thundering sound effect, and reveling in the sheer pounding action and epic battles, I was transported back to the late '70s/early '80s and could practically taste the Big League Chew.


Maybe Superman isn't so bad after all.