Sunday, June 24, 2012

Da na na na na na na na BAT CHUCKS!

This is a glorious day in the Lair of the Dork Horde, my friends. For today (well, this past Friday) I received in the mail my very own pair of one-of-a-kind Batman Converse Chuck Taylor tennis shoes designed by yours truly.

Converse has teamed up with DC comics and have put together a wicked collection of shoes with killer vintage-style DC Comics graphics (from the DC Originals style guide, the very one we're using at Mixo for our upcoming papercraft figures). But the coolest part is that they put together a template thingy for you to design your own DC Comics Chucks! I wasted no time designing my own pair (actually, I designed a few, but these are my favorites), and saving them to my account to hopefully order one day.

Well, that  day came sooner than I thought when a very good friend of my wife's (and mine too, of course) sent me a gift certificate for the Converse website (after my wife showed her the shoes I designed) as a thanks for designing her wedding invitations. BAM! Those shoes were ordered faster than Bat-a-rang knocking a gun out of thug's hand!

And here they are...


Now, I could have gone crazy on the design, but I decided to make them as I would imagine that Batman would have designed them. More like a piece of the Bat-uniform, so to speak. I also went with the classic black and gray with yellow trim look from the animated series. I almost went like 1970's Dick Giordano style with the blue and gray, but thought this would look better.


I also wanted the shoes to still look like good old fashion Chuck Taylors (one of my all-time favorite shoes since 7th grade, when I first started skateboarding). I could have changed the coloring on the sides and tops of the rubber soles, but decided to keep them pure. I thought that the black metal eyelets in the gray sides looked sweet with the yellow laces, and the yellow stripe down the back is supposed to mimic the look of his belt.

I also wanted the inside tongue to be black, to represent his cape.


Heck, even the box they came is is sweet! The matte black box with the vintage DC graphics is a keeper. I'll have to put this on a shelf somewhere and keep trading cards in it or something. Far too cool to throw away.


Converse thought of everything, including carrying over the box graphics to the hangtag, which I wasted no time in adding to my hangtag collection (yes, I have a hangtag collection).


So there they are, gang. My crime-fighting sneakers. I'll probably only wear these on super special occasions, like comic book conventions and nighttime rooftop patrols.

You can make your very own super-sneakers by going to Converse.com and clicking the "create" button. In fact, I strongly advise you to do this. The shoes are a bit pricey ($75.00 plus tax and shipping), but if you think about it, they're a one-of-a-kind pair of bad ass sneaks that no one else in the world will have but you. It's hard to put a price on that.