Monday, June 18, 2012

G.I. Joe Retaliation Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow!

I don't know what it is about me, but I just can't pass up a new Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow figure. In fact even after my last Snake Eyes purchase turned out to be a bit disappointing, I vowed not to buy any more modern G.I. Joe figures, but after seeing these in the store on the pegs, and worrying that they would be hard to find since the movie got pushed back to next year (which I'm still pissed about), I had to snatch them up. Now I feel silly, because they're everywhere. But a couple of weeks ago, the G.I. Joe pegs went bare in my area and the rumor went around that all the Joe toys were getting pulled from shelves due the change in the movie's release. So I guess I got caught up in gotta-have-it fever and thought that the two I spotted at a TRU were the only ones I was ever going to find until next year. Now, everywhere.

Oh well. I got my toys and that's all that counts.

 


I don't normally mention the packaging in not-necessarily-a-review reviews, but I do have to point out that The Rock (who I actually really like as an actor) looks pretty damn silly on the top of these card backs. I can't tell if he's yelling or trying not to yawn during a meeting. But that's a nit-pick. It clearly didn't make me not buy the figures, and the action shots of the figures on the back are dope.


I consider myself a bit of a Snake Eyes action figure aficionado, and I've got to say that this one absolutely rocks. The sculpt is killer (love that stitching in his uniform), the articulation is excellent (ankle rocker joints!) and they really nailed the paint with the super dark gray with black points on his shoulders, knees and visor.


The Storm Shadow I'm a little less than impressed with. I don't dig the mask. I wish it looked more like a classic ninja mask instead of some sort of white cotton ski mask. And the the way his pants sort of poof out around the thighs makes him look like he's wearing... well... stupid pants.


Oh snap! It's about to be on!



I also have to say that, even though I know these toys are mainly made for kids to play with (no, it's true), I couldn't give a gently hovering fart about the rest of the flotsam and jetsam that comes with these figures. All this grappling hook nonsense is just a pile of wasted plastic to me. I literally took this picture and then through everything seen here into a trashcan.


Again, I know these are for kids, and I guess that kids (and probably some collectors) dig these kinds of accessories, but I can't help but think that the plastic used in this brightly colored junk could have been better used (in regards to production costs and price point) by giving us a slew of classic ninja weapons and badass guns in proper blacks and silver.

Instead, Snake Eyes got stuck with what appears to be a dollar store knock-off Super Soaker...


Oh well. In short, I love the Snake Eyes figure all by himself, and dig the Storm Shadow enough to warrant keeping him on my desk fro a couple of weeks where I will occasionally repose them into new fighting stances about 6 times a day while on the phone with my boss.

I may go get the Target ninja 3 pack (even though it's basically re-paints) and definitely get the red ninja when I see it, but I think I'm going to pass on the Kung-fu Yawn Rock figure.

And now you know...