Monday, June 4, 2012

My T-shirt Designs! The Junk Food Junkie Tattoo Series!

The other day, I was going through an external hard drive where I had stored every single art file I ever worked on while working for a local T-shirt design company a couple of years ago. As I was going through the designs, I noticed that the designs I loved the most were usually designs that never went into production (there were many reasons for this, including an unimaginative owner, sales agents that were scared to promote "risky" graphics and clients like Walmart who just want t-shirts with monster trucks on them).

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of designs out there in stores and still come across them to this day (in stores like Khol's, JC Penny and the like), but I thought it would be fun to show off some of my designs that were a little too offbeat to make the cut.

Today's designs were born out of my Art Director's penchat for just riffing out crazy ideas and then setting us designers loose on them. It was one of these meetings where he was belting out stuff like "skateboarding robots" or "superhero dinosaurs" when he looked at me and said, "Okay, here it is... Make up some designs that are all junk food themed, but make them look like old-style tattoo designs."

I, loving a challenge like that, got right to work and came up with the following designs (click to view super sized)...




Needless to say, these were probably a little too weird for our sales people to even show to any store buyers, that's if they even made it past our company's owner, but to be honest, I don't really know how well these would have sold. Still, it was a fun assignment.

While I was looking through my old files, I even found my scans of my original drawings of the cheeseburger and fries...



Ha! Not a bad way to make a living, eh?

Anyway, I found a bunch of old artwork, so expect more moments of show-offy self-indulgence in future posts.

Dang, now I'm really hungry...