Sunday, December 9, 2012

Chicago Bears Oyo Minifigures!

It's NFL Sunday, kids! So I thought it would be a good time to show off yet another Chicago Bear collectible that I've managed to add to the shelf.

I present you all with the latest in minifigure fare from a practically unknown company called Oyo...




I've never even heard of these minifigures before, but they popped up in an eBay search a while back and after I sold my Funko custom zombie Batman, I had a little extra moola in the ol' Paypal account and just had to pull the trigger on these. I grabbed all the Bears figures they had, Jay Cutler, Matt Forte and Brian Urlacher.

Now, the first this I have to point out about these is how INSANELY EXPENSIVE they are! Seriously, they were $12.99 each! But, like I said, I was flush in the collectibles fund for the moment so I thought I'd splurge. But I gotta be honest, on any other day, i would have scoffed at that price and kept on walking.

But since I did plunk down the moola, let's take a look at them.


The first thing one notices about these is how they are riding a razor-thin line of trademark infringement with Lego minifigures. The heads, the hands, the upper torsos. It's stunning.

Still, they made some changes to the arms, making them sort of bent at the elbows, and gave them a clumsy execution of some sort of knee articulation, and maybe that's enough to stop them from getting sued.




This may sound like I hate them, which I swear I don't. They're totally adorable and their little accessories, like the helmet, football and water bottle (gotta stay hydrated!) really add to their fun factor.


And I gotta admit, the Matt Forte actually looks like Matt Forte.


Cute and fun, though they are, I can't actually say they are worth the $12.99 price tag. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have them, but like I said, this splurge was a special occasion for me.


It'll be interesting to see if Oyo (whoever they are) are still around in a year or two. But in the meantime...

GO BEARS!