Wednesday, December 5, 2012

This Isn't a Democracy! This is a RICK-tatorship!

Something that I haven't really gone into here on the blog is how, in the past few months or so, I have gone full-blown crazy about The Walking Dead. It all started when I started at Funko, seeing the early prototypes of our Walking Dead Pop! and Wacky Wobbler toys. That got me inspired to buy the first season on DVD. My wife and I watched that over one weekend (it's only 6 episodes) and then, with the help of a 50%-off-my-entire-purchase Groupon to a local comic shop, I bought and subsequently devoured all 16 volumes of the comic book trade paperbacks. Then I picked up the 2nd season, watched it, and am now neck-deep into the 3rd season.

I've managed to avoid most Walking Dead collectibles (except for a few Funko pieces, but more on them later), but that all changed last week while visiting Things from Another World at Universal Citywalk when I came across the McFarlane Walking Dead action figures.

Now, I've made it clear that I don't normally care for McFarlane toys, and the $22.99 price tag (tourist area, prices are always jacked up), but my wife was dead set on getting me a birthday present while we were in there and this figure just called out to me. Ladies and gents, meet Rick Grimes...


Just look at how badass this figure is. How could I not get it?

And there were several others, mostly zombies and shaved-head Shane, but the price tag kept me from getting two, much less all of them. Still, that RV Zombie is epic.


This figure really captures the essence of the character. (Sorry about the crappy pics, all I had was my iPhone at work.)


The likeness is pretty damn good, which I've come to expect from McFarlane figures after my recent purchase of a Jay Cutler figure. They really captured that "I don't want to have to be doing this, but I will, god dammit" look that Rick always carries on his face.


The interchangeable hands and extra accessories are a nice touch.  Just look at the detail in that rifle!


I also liked how Rick's signature Colt Python fits into his holster. Sadly, as you can see in the below pic, he has zero articulation at the knees. Which kind of sucks considering how posable his arms and neck are.


Here's a peek at the accessories. Frankly, I could live without the zombie snare thing, and would have gladly traded it for knee articulation. Still, I love little details and was tickled pink that the remembered to include his wedding band on both of his included left hands.


And speaking of removable hands, this feature makes it really easy to make him more comic-book accurate!


The jury is still out on weather or not I'll plunk down the moola for any of the others in this series, but I know me and I'm only so strong once I get it in my head.

Still, all in all, this is one hell of an early birthday present.