Tuesday, July 26, 2011

SDCC Swag Report Sneak Peek!

Holy guacamole... I am friggin tired! I got home last night from San Diego and still feel like I'm recovering. And to really test the limits of my endurance, i now have to pack up an SUV and head out tomorrow morning for a week of camping. Good grief.

But, before I take off to go live in the woods like Grizzly Adams, I thought I'd give everyone a quick sneakypoo peekypoo at all the great stuff I brought home from the con! I'll blog in further detail about all of these goodies in due time. But for now, let's get a gander... (go clickety click to make them biggety big)

First up, we have a couple of lovely toys that I did manage to pick up for a couple of homies, along with some other goodies just for me. I grabbed very few comics for some reason, only picking up this Savage Sword of Conan trade, the early 80s Superman digest and the New Gods book because they were hella cheap. The Four Horseman cat-lady figure is the October Toys exclusive and I got that one just because I was suddenly taken with the concept of cat ladies. The October Toys guys are wicked cool dudes, by the way. If you're ever at a con and they're there, go say hi. The devil notebook was a gift from Flapjack Toys (close friends of mine).


A few oddities that I managed to grab were these two Dukes of Hazzard issues of Cracked Magazine which will take their rightful place on my Dukes shelf. The Mil Mascaras drawing is an original which my boss bought for me while we were there.And the various papercrafts are there because, since a major part of my new gig is designing papercrafts, I'm  going a little nutso about collecting any examples I find.


Of course, no trip to SDCC is complete without amassing a massive mass of luchador masks! The top right one is my official "El Mixo" mask (that's our impromptu convention mascot). The one on the top left is based on The Phantom! But the real prize, a gift from my good friend Tom Freak, who I finally got to meet in person (and his lovely wife), is this professional grade mask (dead center) of the Argentinian TV hero, The Red Knight! Tom, you are too good to me, my friend. :)


But this wouldn't be a toy blog if I didn't show off some toys! I snagged everything from this vintage E.T. mask (another gift from the boss), to an Imperial Wolfman (finally!), to a Bag o' Zombies (October Toys again), to several vintage Star Wars figures (the "naked" Imperial Guard is custom fodder for my very own Headman figure), to a sweet Secret War Spider-Man, to a pile of small, plastic DC Superheroes figures from Argentina (again, a most generous gift from Tom Freak). I would have bought more, but I was beginning to worry about the strength of my suitcase and I tried to keep in mind my recent decision not to buy too many toys all willy nilly.


All in all, not a bad haul. (Hey! That rhymed!) Like I said before, I'll go into more detail on a lot of these toys later, but right now I have to go cram a gazillion pounds of camping gear into a rented SUV. Wish me luck and I'll see you all next week!