Friday, August 31, 2012

Top 5 Friday! My Top 5 Favorite Childhood Breakfast Cereals!

Who doesn't love cereal? It's probably the very first food/meal we are ever allowed to make for ourselves. And I've got oodles of warm, fuzzy memories of pouring a giant bowl of one of my beloved cereals and plopping myself down for my weekly ritual of Saturday morning marathon cartoon watching.

So, I thought it would be fun to list my top 5 favorite "parts of a nutritious breakfast". And this time, I'm doing them in order, from 5th to 1st. Here we go!





5. Frosted Flakes
They're Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat! Seriously, they are. Frosted Flakes were never the most colorful of cereals, nor didi it come with fancy little marshmallows or whatever, but it was completely coated in pure, unadulterated sugar. And that was enoguh for me. Also, Tony the Tiger is one of my all-time favorite product mascots, so that helps, too.




4. Super Sugar Crisp
Not Super Golden Crisp. No, I grew up in a time when they plastered the word sugar right on the front of the box. This cereal was like toasted oat crack. Also, Sugar Bear was one of the coolest dudes in TV commercials. He was so cool and laid back. Not like some spastic rabbits or paranoid leprechauns I could mention.
3. Count Chocula
These days, Count Chocula (like Frankenberry and Boo Berry) is only released around Halloween, but when I was a kid, it was available year round. But for some reason, I only ate it around Halloween. That doesn't mean it wasn't one of my most loved cereals ever. I also bought a box last Halloween and am pleased to report that it still holds up.
2. Froot Loops
For years, this was my number one favorite cereal. I ate this cereal by the ton. But it would be forever dethroned by the next one on the list when I was in 5th grade...
1. Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch
Awwwwwwwwww YEAH! I still eat this cereal on a regular basis. There has never been a more flavorful cereal in the history of things that get poured into bowls. Granted, I have to go a week or so without it every now and then just to give the roof of my mouth a chance to heal. As a kid, I remember all of the Cap'n Crunch cereals having the best toys inside, and no matter what parents say, that little marketing scam often tilted your weekly choice of cereal in the favor of one cereal over another. Luckily, the best toys came in the best tasting cereal as far as I was concerned.
Honorable Mention: Apple Jacks
No cartoon mascot. No funny commercial. But these close cousins to Froot Loops would be my go-to cereal on those rare occasions that my mom's guilt over feeding me garbage got the better of her and she'd attempt to force me to pick a "healthier" cereal. I guess because it said "apples" in the name, it was a healthier cereal. Oh, how wrong she was.












Let's here from you all! What was your favorite cereals?