Friday, April 6, 2012

Salvatore the Sasquatch & George!

Welcome to another installment of Stuff I Bought at Emerald City Comic Con! That's not an official title, but it might as well be.

I've never really been one for those "artsy toys", or "collector vinyl" or as the savages in the /toy/ boards on 4chan call it, "hipster garbage", which basically includes any toy designed and produced outside of the mainstream that doesn't have a major motion picture or animated series attached to it.

But I know what I like and when I saw this set, Salvatore Sasquatch & George, I knew I had to have it. These characters are apparently based on a poster for the Sasquatch Festival (think Lollapalooza with more flannel) here in rainy Washington state that takes place in a concert arena known as the Gorge (hence, the little lumberjack named George).

You can read more about it HERE.



I don't mean to sound like an uncultured mainstream zombie, but I couldn't give two gently hovering farts about any music festival (I seem to have had my fill of live music back in the '90s). Music just doesn't "speak" to me like it used to. So I'm sure this is a lovely festival and all, but I just don't care about that.

What I do care about are stunningly adorable toys of bigfoots...


I love the clean, simple shapes that make up each figure, as well as the crisp paint applications. Even the sort of matte finish of the toys is a refreshing change of the overly glossy toys that I'm usually spending my cabbage on.



I'm also a bit of a cryptozoology buff, so I get the feeling that I'm about this close to starting a Bigfoot focus collection. I love the idea that there are living oddities out there somewhere, evading the nosy looky-loos, leaving tantalizing hints of their existence.

I'll tell you one this, if I ever did find a real live Sasquatch, you know what I'd do?

I'd give him a big hug.


Awwwww... Bigfoot hugs....

Well, it looks like I may be turning into a collector of "hipster garbage". It was probably inevitable.